In talking with manufacturers, we know that talent is a top issue. If you’re a Michigan manufacturer seeking assistance with talent retention, you don’t want to miss out on applying for the Going PRO Talent Fund. This fund is designed to help employers with training, developing and retaining employees. It must be used for short-term skills training that fills a proven employer need, and results in a credential that is transferable and recognized by the industry. The amount requested cannot exceed $2,000 per person or $3,500 per person for U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) Registered Apprenticeships.
Funds are awarded to companies through Michigan Works! Agencies (MWA). The process starts with fact-finding sessions with employers to evaluate the talent skill gaps, suitable training providers, and federal funding availability. If the MWA Business Services staff determines your company is eligible for the Talent Fund, they will provide access to the online application. It’s important to reach out to your local Michigan Works! Talent Fund Key Contact early to get the process started. More than $55 million will be available to Michigan employers for Fiscal Year 2023, which begins 10/1/22. The Talent Fund helps generate more employee growth and promotion opportunities while boosting talent attraction, productivity and retention.
If your company receives funding, employees must meet the following criteria to participate in the training program:
- Permanent, full-time employee when the approved training begins
- Works primarily in Michigan, and for whom the employer pays all applicable taxes to the State of Michigan, regardless of where the employee lives
- 18 years of age or older
- Citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S
Approved Training Programs
- Classroom or customized training
- New employee on-the-job training
- Training for USDOL Registered Apprentices
- Sign and adhere to a contract/training agreement with the MWA outlining their role and responsibilities
- Provide cash or in-kind contribution/leverage in support of the training project
- Use Pure Michigan Talent Connect (MiTalent.org) and Michigan Works! to recruit for job openings
Continue the Conversation
If you are interested in learning more about the Going PRO Talent Fund, please visit Michigan.gov/TalentFund or contact your local Michigan Works! Office at 800-825- WORKS or MichiganWorks.org. We also have services that can help you maximize your talent. Contact us to learn more.
*Updated on 9/9/22